As a child, losing a tooth is a normal, healthy experience. As an adult, your teeth should not be falling out, but, when you have a jarring dental experience in an emergency situation, like losing a permanent tooth, it can be difficult to remember how you should proceed. In today’s blog, your Maple Grove, MN, dentist will share what you should do in these situations, and how we can help you replace your tooth in our office.
When you are in the middle of a difficult experience like a dental emergency, it can be hard to remember what steps you should take to move forward. Luckily, there are just three easy to understand steps that you can take when you lose an adult tooth:
- Take stock of your situation and tend to the most serious issues first. Many times, losing a tooth is a result of an accident, so verify that you are not more seriously injured elsewhere first, and, in any case, stop any bleeding before proceeding.
- Find your tooth that fell out and keep it in a safe place. We recommend a small container with a lid, like food storage, so that you can fill the container with salt water or milk. Place your tooth inside to preserve it.
- Call Elm Creek Dental to schedule an emergency appointment.
At Your Appointment
When you are here in our office, your dentist, Dr. Carter, will conduct a thorough examination of your mouth to find any issues related to your tooth loss, including other damage, tooth decay, or infections. If your tooth fell out as a result of your oral health, not because of an impact, Dr. Carter may need to treat your mouth with root canal treatment, dental fillings, or another restorative procedure that will get your mouth back to optimal health. If your mouth and fallen tooth are healthy, he may attempt to place the tooth back into your mouth and reattach it. If this doesn’t work, or if the tooth is not healthy, Dr. Carter will talk with you about your tooth replacement options.
Tooth Replacement Options
Some tooth replacement options that we offer include:
- Dentures, which are a convenient way to replace your tooth if you have lost all or most of your teeth.
- Dental bridges, which can help replace one or more teeth in a row by using the surrounding teeth as supports.
- Dental implants, or just a single post, which can replace individual teeth from the root up, completed with a lifelike crown on top.
Don’t Wait to Call Us
A dental emergency, such as losing a tooth, can quickly become a serious matter, so don’t hesitate to call our office whenever something seems wrong! If you think you might be experiencing a dental emergency, contact our team at Elm Creek Dental in Maple Grove, MN, right away by calling 763-416-0606.