Here’s What Laser Periodontal Therapy Offers Patients:
• Dramatically less traumatic, yet highly effective alternative to cut-and-sew gum surgery
• No cutting of the gum tissue with a scalpel and no stitches means easy recovery with minimal bleeding
• Treatment usually completed in two visits, with two follow up visits, compared to about 4 one-hour periosurgery sessions followed by suture removal and additional check ups
• Recovery following laser treatment is approximately 24 hours, compared to 2-4 weeks for traditional surgery
• Preserves gum tissue instead of cutting it away
• Laser results are longer lasting. 98% of Laser treated patients versus 5% of perio surgery patients remain stable after 5 years
• Reduces root exposure and sensitivity
• Reduces infection
• Laser Periodontal Therapy is safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes, HIV, hemophilia, or those taking medications such as Coumadin or Cyclosporin
Laser periodontal therapy is an effective tool for improving overall dental health with less pain, less bleeding, less swelling, less tissue removal, and less recovery time than traditional gum surgery or periodontal treatment. It is revolutionizing the way gum disease is treated by allowing more people to keep their natural teeth.
“According to the Centers for Disease Control, 60% of the population has moderate to severe gum disease, but fewer than 3% receive treatment.
There’s no cutting of flaps, no sutures and a minimum of bleeding. Preservation of original gum tissue is maximized, so appearances are preserved and root exposure and increased sensitivity are avoided.”
Other patient-friendly benefits such as 50% less chair time, quicker recovery and almost no time lost from work give this procedure tremendous patient acceptance.